Are you passing the buck? What?? So soon in the New Year?
“Buck passing” or “passing the buck” has been going on for years. Personally I believe it to be a sign of weakness. As you know it’s a sign of passing or transferring responsibility to another person or party.
It’s also used in “power politics” when the actions of one country are blamed on another.
The phrase is also associated with poker playing. During the days of the old west, a bone handled knife was used to indicate whose turn it was to deal. If the player didn’t want to deal he could “pass the buck” to another player.
Similarly in today’s times you could also pass the buck to your ad agency if you’re not getting results or you simply don’t want to deal with the pressure of writing butt kickin’, cash flowing advertising copy.
Truth be known you shouldn’t be using an ad agency in the first place.
Why? Cuz most of these agency’s could create an ad that sells if their life depended upon it. These guys are into glamor not grits. They’re all about how the ad should look or feel. Or maybe their all about building your “brand.”
Don’t let this crap fool you. Unless you got mucho dollars forget brand building and concentrate on making sales or bringing in qualified leads and turning them into sales.
Most “regular” ad agencies are not held accountable for results. You know . . . getting tangible results from your ad copy. So, your best bet is learning what direct response advertising is and how to judge good copy.
The good news is that it’s become much easier getting that education thanks to the Internet.
How to get mind boggling results from all of your marketing
Being the good guy that I am, here’s a little secret I’ll share with you. This is the same exact secret David Ogilvy called his “secret weapon.”
We mortals call this “direct response.”
You’ve probably heard of direct response marketing. It goes by other names such as mail order advertising, direct mail, selling direct and direct marketing. Smart companies all around the world use this secret weapon to build billion dollar babies (businesses).
Now you can too—with the right tools and attitude.
Become a student of direct response marketing. You’ll be a smart company too.
Here are my top 5 places to start your education:
1. http://www.carlinecole.com/ Carline is nothing less that pure direct marketing dynamite! She's an A-list copywriter and marketing pro that seriously pumps up profits of her clients. What's more if you listen to what she says you too will profit handsomely. I know I have!
2. http://www.draytonbird.com/home Drayton is one of long time players of the direct response game. And he’s damn good at it. Advertising legend the late David Ogilvy said he “knows more about more about direct marketing than anyone in the world.” This should give you a tiny clue as to just how good he really is.
3. http://www.john-carlton.com/ Carlton, another one of my favorite teachers. He can quickly whip up your buying emotions quicker than you can say “cheese.” He’s one of the true direct response masters of our time. His ads are literally stalked by other copywriters and marketers. And John’s teaching skills are superb. You’ll profit handsomely by tuning into this blog.
4. http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/ Halbert is another one of rare persons who has an uncanny ability of making advertising pay—and pay very well. Sadly we lost him on April 8, 2007. He passed away in his sleep at his home in Miami. The good news he left the rest of us a king’s ransom of marketing knowledge and how to information that’ll rock your direct marketing world! Well worth your time perusing—yes I said perusing his website. His surviving sons now maintain the site and do a damn good job keeping it alive.
5. http://www.makepeacetotalpackage.com/ Clayton Makepeace has stuck to his knitting as a direct response copywriter for nearly 30 years. He graduated with honors from the school of hard knocks and has made his clients very wealthy in the process (not to mention earned himself a pretty penny too.) You should pay very close attention to what this man says. Heed his advice and you’ll be able to cash in big time!
6. http://www.terrydean.org/ Recently, I worked with Terry as an Internet Marketing intern. All I can say is that the experience was fantastic! Terry is considered by many one of Internet Marketing Pioneers and earned lots and lots of money by figuring it all out. Bottom line is want to learn how to profitably marketing your business on the ‘Net, then you’ll want to visit Terry’s blog—and suck up all the wisdom he shares, then be ready to cash in on what you learn. .
Ok. I lied . . . I gave you six great resources to learn and profit from. You can thank me later! There you have it. No excuses to keep floundering in your marketing efforts. You’ll soon be armed and dangerous with real world, proven marketing action plans that’ll fill up your bank account fast!